“We have recommended Cato Constructions to all of our friends and family considering renovating or building. They renovated our property in 2016, whilst we were away travelling and the whole renovation was not stressful, which is definitely saying something. The communication from Andrew, Matthew and the rest of his team went well above the call of duty. We were updated regularly with how they were progressing including photos, phone calls and emails.
Andrew made the process seamless from the initial introductions, the quoting and planning stages, to the build and beyond. They also came to the table with some great ideas and smart ways to keep costs down.
Cato’s quote, whilst double our budget (mainly due to our naivety), came in the most affordable from our quotes and ended up being exact, with no hidden agendas or nasty surprises. Despite the cost, his team were the main influence in deciding to build with them. His team are honest, reliable and importantly, really well-mannered and polite, including to our new neighbours. Their quality of their workmanship is outstanding and they have paid considerable attention to detail and have managed to retain our favourite parts of the old house”.
Ross & Helen
“We started our journey almost three years ago, when by chance on a walk, we found an amazing block of land. This was no ordinary block of land, it was rocky, a significantly steep slope, and required a lot of imagination to see this block’s true potential. We knew when we signed the land contract that this was going to be a challenging build, but this block offered something very unique. It had an endless view of Black River all the way out to the Palm Islands and right around to the tip of Magnetic Island and at night an endless sea of lights from the main Bushland Beach settlement. This block also gave us a prized North Eastern aspect to allow us to capitalise on the beautiful ocean breezes and make a significant difference to our carbon footprint with the use of natural air flow. The slope presented us with an opportunity to create a home that was unique, a home with heart, a home with presence, a beach holiday home for us to enjoy every day, inspired by the iconic “beach shack” of old.
We spent many hours just over a year just to finalise the design of our dream home. Then the hunt was on for a builder to give our design and ideas justice. We were looking for a builder with a passion for his craft, someone who was as excited by our design and build as we were, someone that we could entrust to bring our vision alive.
We interviewed at least 7 builders, and short listed three. Andrew Cato, Cato Constructions was our final choice for the following reasons:
• Andrew Cato’s personality melded well with us, he was relaxed yet professional and very knowledgeable. We felt it important to find a builder that we could communicate with, someone that we felt comfortable with and someone who would work closely with us and include us as an integral part of the building journey.
• Andrew’s willingness to discuss our design and round table all our ideas and to present options and add his own ideas to the mix in order to achieve the look and feel we wanted within the budget constraints we had set. He was always upfront, honest and frank, clearly explaining the pros and cons so that we could make informed choices. His availability and patience answering the many questions, changes and options was invaluable to us, I think we must have set a world record for the amount of questions asked, but Andrew was up for the challenge.
• Andrew’s expertise in the use of timber in our North Queensland climate, this was important given that timber was a large feature of our home.
• His previous client’s testimonials and seeing his work first hand was a game changer, and quite possibly helped our final choice of builder so much easier. I remember Andrew taking us for a drive to show us a pole home that he built for a previous customer. Again this was a very original home, a custom build. When we left, the client pulled us aside and told us that Andy was the ‘real deal’, his team were amazing, his work and finish was fantastic and that we should trust him to help us achieve our dream. Each previous client we spoke to could only praise his team, his attitude and his finished work.
• His excitement and passion about building unique homes, particularly Queenslanders, which was another part of our design inspiration, a modern day Queenslander beach house.
• Andrew’s experience as a custom builder was a must. Our build was unique and we needed a builder who would work well with our architect, ourselves and our pool builder to achieve our concept of “a holiday at home beach house”. We needed someone to understand and move with our changes along the way, as we further developed our concept. Also we wanted the freedom of choosing our fixtures and fittings from our chosen providers. Andrew’s can do attitude made our build so easy.
• His pricing was realistic and he was willing to work with us to create a build that fit within our budget, yet still achieving the design and the feel that we set out to.
• His family approach, he invited us to his home, took us around his beautifully restored home, and we felt so comfortable. Andrew and Lucy made themselves available, Andrew’s building knowledge and Lucy’s eye for interior colours and decoration.
• Andrew, as the building director and organiser was to be on site most days to ensure his team and the build was well organised and flowing smoothly. The days he wasn’t, he had a very capable team onsite, including site supervisor, to ensure this flow continued.
Andrew and his team were truly amazing. Andrew delivered all of the above and so much more. We could not have been in any better hands. To our site supervisor who ensured every day that our finishes and construction were perfect, and I mean perfect; to his sidekick, who had a great eye for design and were both great sounding boards for our finishing choices. The boys were on site every day and answered a million questions and always consulted us on matters and decisions that came up (and Andy all the while being a phone call away and available at the drop of a hat for consultation when needed). Now do I mention the music and daily karaoke that echoed from the house, making every day a great day? Productivity was amazing, and the work environment was always calm, upbeat and a great place to be. I can’t forget their apprentice who certainly should get an award for the amount of rocks he wheelbarrowed and of course the rest for their efforts with the footings, the slab and their help with the fit out. Andrew’s sub-contractors were also fantastic, from his electrician, to the plumber, tiler, glazier, pool builder and pool fencer, they were all great. Andrew’s communication with them in addition to our architect was seamless. Last but not least our thanks to Lucy, for her patience when Andrew was late for dinner on more than one occasion because he was sitting up on site with us, discussing options and changes.
Every moment of our construction was exciting, relaxed, well thought out, consultative, and so much fun and full of laughs.
We cannot thank you enough for helping us make our dream a reality”.
Warren & Kellie
Our Beach Shack where every day we are livin’ the dream
New Build, 2016.
Master Builder NQ Winner Best Individual Home $451 000-$550 000
Master Builder Queensland Winner Best Individual Home $451 000-$550 000 STATE AWARD
“Cato Constructions were very professional and finished the work on time. Gave regular updates and very reasonably priced. A pleasure doing business with.”
“We contacted Cato after speaking with several architects and builders about what we wanted to achieve with our home. Being a 1916 character home we wanted to stay true to the design and achieve open space and living amenity not traditionally found in old Queenslander designs. Cato’s just seemed to get it, and we were quickly able to get a roof gable design that respected the style and accommodated a large outdoor deck. We put the pressure on Andrew and his team setting an ambitious deadline of 3 months to knock over everything from design to approval and completion. That was 3 months to build a main bedroom, walk-in robe, bathroom, laundry and deck all under twin gabled, scissor truss roof design that had to be integrated seamlessly with our existing roof… He and his team rose to the occasion. Nothing seemed to be a problem. The guys were innovative and accepting of our changing wish lists and really took the time to explain what was going on through the construction process. We were able to incorporate some on trend features and keep costs absolutely on budge. We will not hesitate to engage Cato and his team of professionals for future building work on our home. 5 star performance guys – thanks for our awesome new living spaces!!”
Ryan & Tracey
Extension Project, 2015.
“Andrew and his team built our house on time and within budget. There were plenty of changes along the way but nothing was too much trouble for Andrew. Good after build follow up as well. Highly recommended.”
Ross & Natasha
New Build, 2015.
Master Builder NQ Winner Best Individual Home $401 000-$450 000
“I was extremely impressed by the work and final result of my beautiful bathroom. Can’t wait to get Cato to do my kitchen next! Thanks heaps!”
Tom & Anna
Bathroom Renovation, 2015.
“Andrew has restored our faith in building again. After a horrible experience with our previous builder we found Andrew friendly, helpful and easy to deal with.”
Peter & Janine
New Build, 2014.